From The Doctor Who Cuttings Archive
Doctor Who Cuttings Archive
Jump to: navigation, search

Carry On Doctor (Daily Star) (1985)

1985-03-02 Daily Star.jpg

[edit]

Time Lord safe, vows BBC chief

DOCTOR WHO is safe ... he'll be back next year in a new-look shorter show.

Following the Daily Star Campaign to keep the family favourite on the air, BBC boss Bill Cotton stepped in last night to reassure worried fans: "The Time Lord's future is secure."

In an unprecedented move, he made the pledge personally to David Saunders, head of the Dr Who fan club.

Earlier this week BBC1 controller Michael Grade announced that the 22-year-old series would be "rested" for 18 months so money could be put into new programmes. But many fans, and the present Doctor, Colin Baker, feared the show might never reappear.

Mr. Cotton said : "We are going back to the old tradition of 25-minute programmes, rather than the current 45-minute version. We think that is what the public wants, and so does the producer and his team."

The BBC said that the current series was costing £200,000 an episode and not £100,000 as eariler thought.

Mr Cotton added : We appreciate the passionate support of the fan club in this country, and of fans around the world.

Confident

We ask them to be a little patient while we get the Doctor back on to the familiar rails. I am confident that Dr. Who has a great future on BBC1."

A Band Aid style record has been Planned to raise cash for the Save Dr. Who cause. Fans hope Elton John and Holly Johnson — both Who fans—will take part along with the Village People.

It is the second time in 10 days that Mr Cotton has had to calm angry viewers.

He earlier admitted that the BBC had boobed dropping Dallas in mid-series and announced that it would be back next month.

The Doctor Who news came on the same day it was revealed that the BBC had paid £500.000 —for an American series it hadn't even seen.

Kane and Abel based on Jeffrey Archer's bestseller. is being made by Embassy Films which was headed by Mr Grade until 1983.

Mr Grade has a credit on the series as executive producer—but he has no financial involvement in it.


Just write and tell us why Doctor Who should be saved. The letter judged best wins the magic prize. Letters please to: SAVE DOCTOR WHO, Daily Star, 33 St. Brides Street, London EC4A 4AY. Competition closes Friday, March 15. 1985.


Caption: Tardis girl Nicola Bryant wearing our campaign stickers yesterday

Picture: ALASDAIR LOOS

Disclaimer: These citations are created on-the-fly using primitive parsing techniques. You should double-check all citations. Send feedback to whovian@cuttingsarchive.org

  • APA 6th ed.: Baker, Geoff (1985-03-02). Carry On Doctor (Daily Star). Daily Star .
  • MLA 7th ed.: Baker, Geoff. "Carry On Doctor (Daily Star)." Daily Star [add city] 1985-03-02. Print.
  • Chicago 15th ed.: Baker, Geoff. "Carry On Doctor (Daily Star)." Daily Star, edition, sec., 1985-03-02
  • Turabian: Baker, Geoff. "Carry On Doctor (Daily Star)." Daily Star, 1985-03-02, section, edition.
  • Wikipedia (this article): <ref>{{cite news| title=Carry On Doctor (Daily Star) | url=http://cuttingsarchive.org/index.php/Carry_On_Doctor_(Daily_Star) | work=Daily Star | pages= | date=1985-03-02 | via=Doctor Who Cuttings Archive | accessdate=23 November 2017 }}</ref>
  • Wikipedia (this page): <ref>{{cite web | title=Carry On Doctor (Daily Star) | url=http://cuttingsarchive.org/index.php/Carry_On_Doctor_(Daily_Star) | work=Doctor Who Cuttings Archive | accessdate=23 November 2017}}</ref>